We are finally in Ponce!
I’m so glad that we were able to spend time in San Juan before coming here but it is nice to finally feel like we are getting into a routine. This side of the island is much different, but I love it just as much already.
I’d be lying if I didn’t say that this last week has been harder for me emotionally. But that doesn’t change how I feel about this opportunity I have to be here. In fact, it only makes me more grateful. To summarize the ups and downs of the week I made the following list of difficulties and the good things that have come from them:
(-) There is not much public transportation in Ponce.
- There are a lot more sidewalks and activities that are close by.
- We get more exercise walking.
- The Uber drivers give us great tips on where to go around here.
(-) There is no leaving the apartment after 6pm.
- We will be safe!
- Home cookin’ every night.
- We have had some good roommate bonding.
(-) We did not have any wifi in our apartment for a number of days.
- I got a lot of reading done.
- It’s good to take a break from social media.
- I had Star Wars downloaded on my Kindle Fire.
(-) We don’t have an oven.
- All of the food we have can be cooked in the microwave or stove top.
- Less temptation to make baked treats for every meal.
- Less heat in the apartment.
For every thing that went wrong this last week, there were at least three positive things that came from it. And that’s the same way that I feel about my emotions. While I have had a few rushes of emotion and anxiety in the evenings, I have felt satisfied with every day that I have spent here. I love this internship and everything that I am learning and seeing. I am in a beautiful place and I plan to just soak it all in. Bad moments, even bad days happen but I want to make every moment that I am feeling well worth it.
Here are some of the wonderful experiences we had in Ponce this week:
The Art Museum of Ponce
Catholic University Library